Cauliflower and Carrot Quick Pickles
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Pickle
- 1½ cups water
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed
- ½ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon black peppercorns
- ½ cups white vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 medium carrots, cut in half & then ½” sticks
- ½ of a cippolini onion cut into thick chunks
- 1½ cups cauliflower, cut into bite sized chunks (may need more or less to fill your jar)
- 4 hot red chiles or 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and add garlic. Cook for five minutes.
- Add next five ingredients, bring to boil, and stir until salt dissolves. Reduce heat to simmer for five minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Into a clean, 1-quart mason jar: Using tongs, remove garlic from the brine and place into jar.
- Then, using a spoon, ladle up and add the coriander, mustard, and peppercorns.
- Then, pack the jars full of cauliflower, carrots, beans or whatever other vegetables youre using. You want them to be tightly stuffed.
- Pour hot brine over the vegetables to completely cover, let cool, and refrigerate.
- Pickles will taste good in just a few hours, better after a couple of days, and they’ll keep for a few months.