Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
Recipe type: Side Dish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 5 ounces pancetta, cut into ¼-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon Driftless sunflower oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of chopped Rosemary (optional)
- Blanch the Brussels sprouts first: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Prepare an ice-water bath.
- Cook Brussels sprouts until just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to ice-water bath, and let stand until cool.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Cook pancetta in a large skillet over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until fat is released and pancetta is crisp, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Season generously with pepper.
- Add half the Brussels sprouts, and cook until just starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add oil and remaining Brussels sprouts to skillet, and cook until just starting to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Toss in Rosemary, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper, and combine with remaining Brussels sprouts.
- Serve warm.