Butternut Squash Vindaloo
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 ½ Tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¾ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Driftless sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, cut into thin half rings
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash (apr. 1½ lbs.), peeled, seeded, & cut into 1” cubes (should be about 4 cups squash)
- 1 c. coconut milk (well stirred)
- ½ c. water
- Cilantro & roasted cashews, for garnish (optional)
- Mix mustard, spices, salt, & vinegar well in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Put in the onion & fry until golden brown.
- Add garlic, stir, & fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the spice past & stir for a minute.
- Add sweet potatoes, coconut milk, & water & cover.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, & simmer for about 30 minutes, or until squash is tender but not falling apart.
- Garnish with cilantro & cashews if you wish, & serve with rice.