Butternut Squash Soup with Fresh Sage
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 8 cups butternut squash, peeled, seed, & cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 fresh sage leaves
- Crème fraîche or sour cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- About 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- Gorgonzola, crumbled, for garnish (optional)
- Bring 2 cups broth and juice to a boil in a large soup pot.
- Add squash, onion, garlic, and whole sage leaves to pan, cover, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until squash is very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor/blender.
- If soup is thicker than you like, thin with more broth.
- Stir over medium heat until soup is hot.
- Remove from heat & add crème fraîche/sour cream and salt/pepper to taste.
- Garnish with minced sage & Gorgonzola, if using.