Butternut Squash & Pancetta Pie
Author: Nancy Rouch CSA member
Recipe type: Main Dish
Special equipment: a 9-inch round heavy nonstick springform pan
- 3½ cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 (1/8-inch-thick) slices pancetta* -Italian unsmoked cured bacon, chop finley
- 3 tablespoons Driftless Sunflower oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 16 cups kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves coarsely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup water
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 8 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
- ½ cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat
- Sauté squash with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Stir frequently, until browned and just beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer toa plate and spread in 1 layer to cool.
- Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and reduce heat to moderate heat.
- Cook onion, pancetta, garlic, sage, and remaining ½t salt and ¼t pepper 7 minutes
- Stir in kale and water and cook, covered, until kale is just tender, about 6 minutes.
- Skillet will be full, but volume will reduce as vegetables steam.
- Cool, uncovered, to room temperature.
- Brush springform pan with some of butter.
- Unroll phyllo dough and coverstack with plastic wrap and a dampened kitchen towel. Keeping remaining phyllo covered and, working quickly, gently fit 1 sheet into pan
- Let ends overhanging and brush with butter (including overhang).
- Rotate pan slightly and top with another sheet (sheets should not align)
- Brush with butter
- Repeat with 5 more sheets, rotating pan each time so sheets cover entire rim.
- Spread half of kale mixture in phyllo shell.
- Gently stir together squash and cheese in a bowl and spread evenly over kale.
- Top with remaining kale.
- Put remaining sheet of phyllo on a work surface and brush with butter.
- Fold in half crosswise and butter again.
- Fold again (to quarter) and brush with butter, then lay over center of filling.
- Bring edges of phyllo up over filling (over quartered sheet of phyllo) to enclose.
- Brush top with butter and bake until deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool pie in pan on a rack 5 minutes.
- Remove side of pan and transfer to a platter.
- Cut into wedges (leave bottom of pan under pie).