Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Author: Rachael Phillips
Recipe type: Soup
This is one of my family favorites....a dash of dried cayenne and a dollop of sour cream brings is a must. This soup is also great the next day, adding some garam masala and chunks of paneer..."instant" Indian. So yum!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1-2 carrots, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Butternut Squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tart green apple, chopped
- 3 c. Chicken Stock
- 1 c. Water
- Pinches of Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Salt and Cayenne (to taste)
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- Sour Cream (for serving)
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in butter until tender (about 3-5 min).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (minus syrup) and simmer. Be conservative with the spices.
- When butternut and apple are tender (about 20-30 min), puree the soup.
- Taste and add more spice per taste, including optional syrup.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.