Potato Soup with Brussels Sprouts
Recipe type: Soup
You can make this soup vegetarian style, or add smoked sausage for a deep, meaty soup.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (homemade broth is best!)
- 1 lb. smoked sausage (a T. of Driftless sunflower oil or olive oil if not adding sausage)
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved or quartered
- ½ tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a medium pot over medium high heat.
- If you’ll be adding sausage, cook them first in the pot, and then remove, leaving the crunchy grease bits behind (a little fat won’t ruin your day).
- Sear the Brussels sprouts in the sausage fat, or in butter or sunflower oil. Remove.
- Add broth to the pot and the potatoes, and bring to a boil. Watch your heat, though, because you don’t want to get splashed with that hot oil when adding the liquid.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage into bite-size pieces, if using it.
- When broth is boiling, add the seared Brussels sprouts, caraway seeds, and sausage.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.