Best Damn Mashed Potatoes!
Recipe type: Side Dish
This is the secret for how to get kids to eat parsnips! We prefer to leave our potatoes with their skin on because that’s where most of its nutrients lie. This makes for a more “rustic” mashed potato dish, but otherwise doesn’t affect the flavor of the dish.
- 4 pounds potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound parsnips, (about half of what’s in your box), peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 to 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly ground pepper
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large pot, cover with water, and add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are very tender.
- Drain, return to pot, and mash until almost smooth (or leave slightly chunky, if you prefer).
- Heat milk with 6 tablespoons of butter until scalding and then add in slowly, mashing or stirring into potatoes until smooth.
- Season with pepper. Dot with remaining butter, if desired.