Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- 4 medium beets, scrubbed, trimmed and cut in half
- ½ red onion, rough chopped
- ⅓ c. walnuts, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1 pkg of salad mix
- ½ c frozen orange juice concentrate
- ¼ c. Balsamic vinegar
- ½ c. Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil
- 2 ounces goat cheese: feta or chevre
- Place beets into a saucepan, fill with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 20-30 min, until tender.
- Drain, cool and cut into cubes.
- While beets are cooking, place the walnuts in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Heat until warm and starting to toast, then stir in the maple syrup.
- Cook and stir until evenly coated, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil to make the dressing.
- Place a large helping of salad mix onto 4 plates.
- Sprinkle red onion on top.
- Divide candied walnuts evenly and sprinkle over greens.
- Place equal amounts of beets over the greens and top with dabs of goat cheese.
- Drizzle each plate with some of the dressing.