Skip to content
Tom’s Cucumber Salad
- 2 cucumbers (or 4 if using pickling cukes), seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno or poblano pepper, seeds removed, finely chopped
- ¼ c. white onion
- 3 Tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- zest & juice of 1 lime
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients & let stand in fridge for an hour to meld flavors.
- Serve with chips or on grilled chicken.
- Will keep for several days.
- Do not freeze.
Sri Lankan Mixed Pickle
- ½ an onion cut in ½” dice
- 1 large or 2 medium carrots, cut in half lengthwise then sliced into ¼” half moons
- 4-5 red or yellow mini peppers, cut into ½” dice
- 1-2 fresh hot peppers, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed & minced
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup coarsely chopped pitted dates
- ¼ c. apple cider or rice vinegar
- 1½ Tbsp. whole brown mustard seed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- Salt to taste
- Combine onion, carrot, mini peppers, & hot peppers if using into a mixing bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a food processor & grind into a paste.
- Stir into vegetables & let sit at room temperature for an hour or so until serving or storing in the refrigerator.
- Serve with rice & curry or rice & chicken, pork, or fish.
- Will store in the fridge for at least a week.
Chicken in Chili Verde
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Entree
- 1 pound boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 1 Tbsp. oil (preferably Driftless Sunflower Oil)
- ½ medium white onion, diced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno or banana peppers (or one of each), chopped (remove seeds for less heat)
- All of the tomatillos in your box, husked and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- ¼ c. cilantro, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse chicken, pat dry with a paper towel, & season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- In a medium/large sauté pan, heat oil. Add onion & coriander seeds & sauté for a minute or two.
- Add garlic & peppers & sauté for another minute.
- Add tomatillos & sauté for another couple minutes.
- Add chicken stock, lime juice, & zest & cook for a couple minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender & return to the pan.
- Bring to a boil & add chicken thighs.
- Reduce to medium heat & maintain a simmer uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until chicken is tender & juice runs clear when pierced with a knife in the center.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste & sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with sour cream, rice, roasted vegetables, & tortillas.