Root Vegetable Quick Pickles
Note: This recipe makes for some powerful, tangy pickles. If you prefer a milder mix, I’d recommend swapping in half water-half vinegar, and adding a touch of honey.
- 1 quart jar w/ lid
- 2 cups white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb of root carrots, beauty heart radishes, turnips, etc, thinly sliced (use a mandolin for best results)
- Combine first six ingredients in a pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, dump in vegetables. Turn off the heat, so the vegetables stay crisp.
- Ladle immediately into your clean canning jar. Cover with lid.
- Let them sit in the fridge for at least three days before opening, and up to three weeks.
- Once opened, enjoy the pickles soon while they’re still fresh.