Buttermilk Mashed Potato & Rutabagas
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Side Dish
- 3 large or 4 medium gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into ½” pieces
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled, cut into ½” pieces
- 6 Tbsp. butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp. water or broth
- ⅛ tsp. baking soda
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a Dutch oven or very heavy bottomed pan, bring potatoes, rutabagas, 2 Tbsp. of the butter, ¾ cup of the buttermilk, water, baking soda, & about a ½ tsp. of salt to a boil.
- Cover & reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove lid & cook over medium heat until liquid has nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat & mash with remaining butter until smooth.
- Fold in remaining buttermilk & season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately.