Skip to content
Southeast Asian Slaw
- 4½ cups grated mixed root vegetables of choice (such as broccoli stems, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, red cabbage, etc.)
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro &/or mint chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar/honey
- 1 Tbsp. sriracha-type hot sauce
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (garnish)
- Whisk together garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, & sriracha.
- Toss in grated vegetables & cilantro/mint. Taste, & add salt & black pepper as needed & toss again.
- Serve immediately topped w/ sesame seeds.
- Serves 4-5 as a side. Add spinach & grilled meat or tofu for a complete meal for 3-4.
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Side Dish
- ½ – 1 head red cabbage (depending on size), very thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1 broccoli stem, peeled & grated
- Salt & to taste
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ green bell pepper, very thinly sliced into 2” strips
- ½ yellow squash with middle scraped out, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest & juice of 1 lime
- 3 Tbsp. mayo
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp. each ground coriander & chipotle powder
- In a large bowl, combine sliced cabbage, grated broccoli & salt & stir together with a spoon or your hands (or lightly pound with a meat pounder or wooden sauerkraut pounder if you have one).
- Meanwhile, whisk together garlic, lime zest/juice, mayo, cilantro, & spices in a small bowl.
- Add remaining vegetables & lime mayo mixture to slaw & toss.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge for a couple days.