Salt Pickled Turnips & Gold Beets
Author: Dani Lind
- 4 salad turnips, quartered and sliced (about 2½ cups)
- 1 medium golden beet, peeled, quartered and sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. each whole black peppercorns, whole coriander seeds, & whole fennel seeds
- 1 ½ Tbsp. sea salt
- 1 cup cold, purified water
- Fill a sterilized quart-sized canning jar with the turnips, beets, garlic, parsley, & spices.
- Press gently with a wooden spoon to pack them in, leaving at least one inch of headspace below the top of the jar.
- Whisk the salt into the water until dissolved and pour over vegetables to about a half-inch below the top of the jar, making sure the water completely covers the vegetables.
- Cover tightly and let sit at room temperature out of direct sunlight for 3 to 5 days.
- Taste after 3 days—it should be slightly bubbly and the flavor should be salty and sour, with just a little bit of turnip bite.
- Once the flavor is where you want it, store in the refrigerator. Makes 1 quart.