Fried Green Tomatoes
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups fine-ground white or yellow cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 medium green tomatoes, cored and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1½ – 2 cups peanut or safflower oil (for frying)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Measure 1 cup of the flour into a large shallow dish.
- Measure the remaining 1½ cups flour, cornmeal, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and cayenne into a second large shallow dish.
- Beat the egg, buttermilk, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl.
- Pour enough oil into a 12-inch skillet to measure ⅓ inch depth.
- Heat the oil to approx 350 degrees (a few minutes) while prepping tomatoes.
- Several slices at a time, drop the tomatoes into the flour & shake the excess.
- Using tongs, dip the tomatoes into the buttermilk mixture, allowing excess to drip off.
- Coat the tomato slices with the seasoned flour-cornmeal mixture, shaking off any excess, & place in a single layer into the hot oil and fry 2 to 2½ minutes each side. Transfer to paper towels to drain off excess oil & serve.