Indian Eggplant Fritters
Recipe type: Appetizer
A great appetizer or snack…rich flavors, crispy outside – don’t forget to serve with a Cilantro Mint Sauce for an added fresh layer!
- 1 eggplant, diced (about 3 c.)
- ½ sweet onion, minced
- ½ c. water
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp chili-garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp fresh mint, minced
- ½ c flour
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil (for frying)
- In a large saucepan, combine eggplant, water and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 10 min (until eggplant is tender).
- Drain eggplant, pressing out excess liquid and place in small bowl. Mash it up.
- Add minced onion, chili-garlic sauce and mint. Mix.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and spices.
- Combine flour and eggplant mixtures.
- In a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil over medium-high heat.
- Add mixture, about 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan. You can flatten the fritter when you turn it, turning as needed, until brown all over (about 2-3 minutes).
- Best served with Cilantro Mint Sauce.