Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Thyme & Caramelized Onion
Author: From the Cook’s Country Cookbook
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 + 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or ½ tsp. dried thyme
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 lbs. sweet potatoes (2 large or 3 medium), peeled, quartered lengthwise, & cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- ¼ tsp. each sugar & salt
- Combine 3 Tbsp. of the butter, 2 Tbsp. of the cream, ½ tsp. salt, ¼ tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. sugar, & sweet potatoes in a large, heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until the potatoes are fall-apart tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter in a small skillet & add the onion & remaining sugar & salt.
- Cook over low heat until the onion is caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Discard the fresh thyme sprig from the sweet potatoes & mash with a potato masher. Stir in the caramelized onion & remaining 1 Tbsp. cream & serve.