Whole Wheat Pumpkin Nut Bread
Author: Dani Lind
Recipe type: Bread
- ⅔ c. brown sugar
- ½ c. Driftless sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. cooked & mashed winter squash
- 2 Tbsp. yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 c. unbleached all-purpose white flour
- 1 c. whole wheat flour (all-purpose or pastry)
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. cardamom (optional)
- ½ c. pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat brown sugar & oil together.
- Add eggs & beat.
- Add squash puree & yogurt & beat to mix.
- In a separate bowl, sift flours, baking powder & soda, salt, & spices together to mix.
- Add squash mixture to flour mixture & stir just enough to combine.
- Fold in nuts.
- Turn into a lightly greased 8”x 4” loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes & turn out onto wire rack to cool.