Recipe type: Side/Filler
These homemade refried beans are delicious, nutritious and so easy to make! Try it out once and you won’t use the canned versions again.
- 1 Tbsp Driftless Sunflower Oil
- ½ c. finely chopped yellow or white onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 tsp. Ground cumin
- 3 c. cooked black beans
- ½ c. water
- ½ tsp. Salt + some for sprinkling
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Lime juice
- In a medium saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add onion and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cook until onions have softened and browned a little, about 5-8 min.
- Add the garlic and cumin. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 sec).
- Pour in beans and water, stir, cover and cook about 5 min.
- Reduce the heat to low, uncovered and use a masher or the back of a fork to mash up at least half the beans.
- Continue to cook the beans, uncovered, stirring often for about 3 more min.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in salt, black pepper and lime juice.
- Taste and add more if needed. If the beans seem dry, add a splash of water and combine. Cover until you are ready to eat.