Delicata Soup with Roasted Chickpeas
Recipe type: Soup
This soup has such warm cozy flavors going on...it's great for early fall!
- 1 Delicata Squash
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp Driftless Sunflower Oil (seperated)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into LONG thin slices
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. Vegetable/Chicken Broth
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Onion powder
- ¼-½ tsp. Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- Preheat to 400F.
- Slice delicata squash in half lengthwise and de-seed.
- Place on a baking sheet, drizzle some oil, salt and pepper onto squash and then place squash flat side down (skin side up) on baking dish.
- Roast for 30 min, or until fork tender.
- In a bowl, toss drained chickpeas with oil, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper (great for the flavor, but I did another batch for my kids without the cayenne).
- Roast at the same time as the squash for 20-30 min, flipping halfway. Set aside when done.
- While everything is roasting, slice your onion into long, thin slices.
- Mince your garlic.
- Add a generous amount of oil to a large skillet, cook your onions until caramelized (10+ min). Add the minced garlic once the onions are done. Set aside.
- Once delicata is done roasting, let it cool for a little bit. Then coarsely chop it up (skin included). Add squash, onions, garlic and broth to a blender. (IF you don’t have a blender - add everything to a pot and use an immersion blender).
- Blend until creamy and smooth. Taste, add more salt if needed.
- Add soup back into pan you caramelized onions in, let simmer until warm.
- Top with roasted chickpeas (essential to the dish!) right before serving and enjoy!