Winter Wild Rice Soup
Recipe type: Soup
A great warm and hearty meal when there is a blizzard howling outside.
- 1 Tbsp Driftless Organics Sunflower Oil
- 1 small-medium onion, diced
- 1-2 celery ribs ,diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and then chopped
- 6 c. vegetable or chicken stock
- 1-2 sweet potatoes, diced (about 1 c.)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 c. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. wild rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ Tbsp Old Bay Seasoning (you can make your own!)
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- ¼ c. flour
- 1 ½ c. milk
- 1-2 Handfuls of Kale OR Spinach, coarsely chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- *Optional: add diced OR shredded cooked chicken
- Let oil heat up in a dutch oven. Add onions and celery, saute until translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Now add garlic, saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add stock, sweet potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, wild rice, bay leaf & Old Bay Seasoning. Stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Take a small saucepan and melt the butter. Whisk in flour and let cook for about 1 minute. Slowly, whisk in milk, until combined. Continue cooking, stirring OFTEN, until the mixture nearly comes to a simmer and has thickened.
- When your veggies and rice are tender, Add the cream sauce and kale/spinach.
- Stir until combined.
- Taste and season with salt, pepper or more old bay seasoning. Serve warm.