Radish Top Soup
Author: ***from CSA Member Edith Thayer***
Recipe type: Soup
A great way to use up radishes and salad turnips. Delicious with homemade bread on a cool day!
- 2 Tbsp butter or Driftless Sunflower Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (about ½ c.) chopped
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped (no need to peel)
- 4-5 salad turnips, coarsely chopped
- 4 c. radish and turnip greens and stems (be sure to wash them), roughly chopped
- 4 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- ⅓ c heavy cream (or half and half)
- 5 radishes, sliced
- 2-3 green onions (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Herbs - optional (any kind you choose)
- Dried Cayenne Pepper - optional (sprinkle per bowl or about ¼ tsp for the whole recipe)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in onion and saute until tender.
- Mix in potatoes, salad turnips and radish greens, coating them with butter.
- Pour in broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, simmer for 15-20 min or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until it reaches desired consistency. Return the soup to the pan and add cream.
- Top with sliced radishes and green onions (if using).
- ***Measurements aren’t very important for this recipe and we like our soup a little on the chunky side.****