Looking for a simple and delicious holiday pie made out of, yup, you guessed it – vegetables?!? Look no further than our Cinnamon Carrot Pie:
Cinnamon Carrot Pie
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Press the pie crust into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake the pie shell for 3 to 5 minutes, just to firm it up, then remove from the oven, and set aside.
- Place carrots in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain water, and mash carrots until smooth using a food processor, or potato ricer.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the carrot puree, sugar and eggs. Mix in the cinnamon and vanilla. Gradually stir in the milk.
- Pour the mixture into the partially baked pie shell. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes at the lower temperature, or until firm. Cool completely before serving.